Seeds of Stories
March 14 Calgary Update: For the 30 bursaries for Calgary, we have exceeded the number of applications we have room for. Schools may still enter to be waitlisted should anyone withdraw from their spot. Thank you to the generosity of Calgary Arts Development for funding these spots!
March 2 Red Deer Update: For the 6 bursaries for Central Alberta, we have exceeded the number of applications we have room for. Schools may still enter to be waitlisted should anyone withdraw from their spot. Thank you to the Red Deer and District Community Foundation for funding these spots!
We will keep this page updated throughout the school year on the availability of bursaries as we continue to pursue funding opportunities.
Note that this is juried so your answer is important to us! When in doubt, think about what you would accept from a student on a short paragraph answer.
Seeds of Stories Bursary Application Form
- We are doing an initial intake of applications for Calgary, Tsuut’ina Nation, Siksika Nation, and the above outlined Central Alberta region until noon on January 20, 2023.
- If there are any un-assigned bursary spots after this first intake, we will begin weekly deadlines of every Friday beginning on January 27, 2023 until all bursary spots are taken.
- Send applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or through the webform.
- All K-12 schools (public, separate, charter, etc.) in Alberta are eligible to apply but funding earmarked for specific regions will only be awarded to schools in those regions.
- Schools are eligible to be awarded one bursary or Allard Award per school year.
- Applicants acknowledge that the selected schools will be contacted by telephone or email and may be announced on the YABS website, Facebook page, and Twitter account.
- Successful applicants will be notified within 2 weeks of their application deadline.
- Successful schools will receive a YABS membership and $500 (plus GST) credit towards the cost of hosting a YABS literary artist during the 2022/23 school year for virtual or in-person visits.
- Schools will select their preferred visiting artist from the YABS member roster and will work with YABS to schedule the visit during the 2022-2023 school year.
- Artist visit bookings must follow the policies and procedures for YABS bookings.
- Bursaries may not be combined with any other artist fee subsidy administered by YABS.
- Bursaries must be accepted as awarded and may not be redeemed for cash value.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Schools will be responsible for any costs above the membership and $500 plus GST credit such as higher artist fees or out-of-scope travel.